This 12″x 12″ journal quilt was just finished. The appliqued shapes started as a separate piece of embroidery but being all olive colours, I thought it was a bit dull so I cut it up into these rectangular pieces. I had trouble finding a suitable background – tried it against many different colours but wasn’t happy until I found this one which I didn’t think would work but the turquoise blue with the olive and tan livens up the whole piece and now I like it – reminds me of tropical rainforest.
I’ve used 1 of my thermofax screens (made from a rubbing) to print across the dark area of the above, roller printed fabric – much better!
The 2 procion dyed fabrics above were my demo pieces for my last workshop. I only did 2 fat quarters in the one container (lemon yellow & purple) but the workshop participants did 4 in different colours. I haven’t seen how their pieces turned out yet as they batched them on the day then took them home to wash out but its a great method to get a variety of colours – very simple!